The mornings are getting crisper, and the local orchard is selling apples, which can only mean one thing, fall is here! (slash, it's the season of my favorite breakfast).
This is a super-easy, super-healthy, super-tasty breakfast that will start your day on the right foot.
- 1/2-1 C Cottage cheese/Greek yogurt (I like the low-fat/no-fat versions)
- Dice apple into microwave safe bowl.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon (I do about two full sprinkles).
- Microwave for 1 minute.
- Make sure apple is to your preferred consistency. If it is too hard, microwave 30 more seconds.
- Stir apple with spoon, push to one side of the bowl.
- Put cottage cheese in bowl (I like to use 1/4 c cottage cheese with 1/2 c greek yogurt andmix them together).
- Eat and enjoy.
When I first had this, I was skeptical about the warm apple and cold dairy, but it is so good! It's like warm apple pie with frozen ice cream on top (okay, it's nothing like apple pie, but you get the combination). I like to round out my breakfasts with some sort of whole grain/fat/protein combo, this morning that was a pumpkin spice oatmeal protein cookie topped with peanut butter. Now, get excited for your breakfast tomorrow (pro tip: a lot of local orchards sell discounted apples as "seconds," and they'd be perfect for this).