Some things I have been loving this past month...
Eating & Drinking:
- Atlantis by Mark Doty (the poem and the eponymous book of poetry)
- "Summer Bucket List 2017"
- Faves: "tie a message to a balloon and let it go" & "stargaze"
- My own journal. I sometimes forget how lovely it is to sit and journal analog-style. I've remembered that, and how re-reading past entries can be especially illuminating.
- I did a fair amount of shopping this month, so these are some material things I purchased that I have been loving:
- Spray deodorant (I bought this because it was super cheap and I can always use extra deodorant for gym bags/lockers/car. I was so impressed with how easy it is to apply, how fast it dries, and how long it lingers. Definitely weathers through morning workouts and lasts the rest of the day without having to reapply. It is a little difficult to accurately aim with the aerosol spray method, so shirts beware.)
- New Rainbow sandals (I bought my last pair 10 years ago and they were very worn. I would have kept wearing them except they sprung a hole in the heel where the rubber sole and leather foot-bed wore through. I ordered my new ones online, and I forgot how much cushioning Rainbows actually have. I love that they buckle, and that they're more versatile than the standard Rainbow flip-flop.)
- Aerie swimwear (I got a bikini and a one piece for myself, and a one piece for my AARP-card-carrying mother. We were both very happy with the quality of the suits given the price--we got them on super sale with free shipping. I love that Aerie supports all body shapes and sizes on Instagram and with their models. However, I ordered the body-posi-community-endorsed "Super Scoop One Piece," and looked like Borat. But it was super-easy to return to my local American Eagle store, and I reordered a much more flattering one piece.)
- Something I bought a while ago and have been using a ton this past month: a leather backpack purse (I got it super cheap at the Goodwill near me, I think it was from the 90s, pretty sure I remember my mom having a similar one in black. It's great to have on and be able to have my hands and sides free from a heavy purse in the sticky weather. It fits a ton of stuff and I barely notice I have it on. It is a process to put things in it or take things out, but so easy to do activities and not have to worry about a cumbersome purse getting in the way of your summer fun. Plus, according to the youths the 90s are back on trend, so very fashion forward/backward)
- I KonMari'd some of my closet and gave the discards to friends/family members. Getting rid of things that do not bring you joy and are weighing you down is a perfect to-do this summer season.
- Wearing shirts that one can wear bra-less.
- Making every shirt a bra-less shirt.
- Naked nails (it's too hot to wait for nail polish to dry in a well-ventilated area)
- Handkerchiefs (I don't wear a shirt when I run in the summer #SportsBraSquad, but I still sweat, so a handkerchief is the perfect item to bring to blot my brow. I tuck it into the back waistband of my shorts, and wipe my sweat throughout my run.)
I think that's everything. July has been a weird month, headspace-wise, and I think my favorites reflect that. We'll see what August brings.